- Texas Criminal Law & Traffic Law Manual – current edition.
- The Texas Peace Officer – 13th edition
Books are available for purchase at the Navarro College Bookstore and MUST be purchased prior the start of the first day of class.
- Highlighters, etc.
- Index cards for use as flashcards (Approximately 1,500)
- Black Academy shirt (NC Bookstore)
- Black pants (5 – 11 pairs, Dockers, Dickies)
- Plain black uniform trouser belt
- Plain black, polishable uniform boots (no pointed toes, tennis shoes, or slip-on low quarter shoes).
- Black Police Academy hooded sweatshirt (No other jackets allowed).
All Basic Peace Officer students are required to be in uniform on the first day of class. Contact the Academy Coordinator if you are unable to obtain your uniform prior to your first day of class, or if you have question about the type of clothing/foot gear required.
- Black shorts or sweat pants (no logos or emblems)
- White Academy T-shirt (NC Bookstore)
- Workout shoes
- White athletic shoes
All Basic Peace Officer students will be required to participate in skills training and physical conditioning training.
- Black Police Style Duty Belt
- Nylon magazines pouch for Glock 22
- Four (4) black belt keepers
- Hearing Protection for gun range
- One (1) pair of clear safety glasses
- One (1) pair of handcuffs with key
- One (1) black nylon handcuff case
Nylon items are acceptable. Equipment may be purchased at any law enforcement supply company.
Handguns are provided by the Police Academy for use at the firing range. Under no circumstances are students allowed to be in possession of personal firearms while on campus or at Police Academy facilities. Possession of personal firearms on campus or any Police Academy premises is grounds for dismissal from the Police Academy and Navarro College, and referral to the Navarro College Department of Public Safety. This also applies to a person who holds a concealed handgun license. (Effective Spring 2014).
Outside of Class Commitments
There will be a required weekend commitment from student to participate. Students will leave campus on Friday evening and return home on Sunday. Expenses for the weekend will be the student’s responsibility.
Students will be rquired to qualify during the day and at night. Students should plan to be at the range at minimum one evening during Firearms Training. Certain Academy courses may require firearms training on weekends.
Students may be required to complete homework or other assignments outside of normal classroom hours. Internet access is required. If a student does not have internet access at home, staff will refer the student to a public computer lab that is accessible outside of normal business hours.
Psychological and Physical Exam Information
Physical exam / drug screening should be done at one of the two locations listed:
Enviva Health Services
1014 Ferris Ave, Ste. #220
Waxahachie, Texas 75165
Enviva Health Services
1430 W. 7th Avenue
Corsicana, Texas 75110
No appointments are necessary, and you may walk-in at any time during normal business hours. Ensure that you take your L2 form and obtain the proper signatures/marks, as well as a copy of your 10 panel drug screen. Return the original documents to the Academy.
Psychological testing may be conducted by one of the following providers:
Katherine Donaldson @ Wellness Center
508 Grace St.
Waxahachie, Texas 75167
Dr. Eric Holden @ Behavioral Measurers & Forensic Services, LLC
1720 Regal Row, Ste. 120
Dallas, Texas 75235
Dr. Laci James @ James and Associates
824 ASH 171
Mexia, Texas 76667