Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions

Who is eligible for financial aid?

 To be eligible for financial aid assistance you must:

– Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
– Be registered with Selective Service, if required
– Be an undergraduate, graduate or professional student enrolled at least half-time (except for less than half-time Pell Grant) in a degree seeking program
– Make satisfactory academic progress
– Not be in default on an educational loan

How do I apply for financial aid?

 Visit the How to Apply page.

I'm not admitted to Navarro College yet. Do I have to wait until I am admitted before I apply for financial aid?

No, apply as soon as possible once the application is made available on October 1st and list the codes for all schools that you are considering on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The Navarro College Federal School Code is 003593.You will not receive a Navarro College Financial Aid award letter until you have been accepted to Navarro College through the admissions office.

How much financial aid can I expect?

You can create an unofficial estimate of the aid for which you may qualify using the FAFSA4caster. The Stafford Loans also have limits on how much can be borrowed each academic year.  View the Loan Limits for Stafford Loans page for more details.

When and how will I receive my financial aid at Navarro College?

Financial aid funds will be applied to your college account no earlier than ten days before the first class day of each semester. Federal and college funds will be applied at this time only for those students who have completed all requirements for the financial aid process. Disbursement of state awards is dependent on the availability of state funding. If you have more financial aid than college charges, the balance will be deposited based on the option you choose when you receive your Refund Selection Kit in the mail. If you have not received your Refund Selection Kit in the mail please contact the Cashier’s Office.

When will I get my award letter?

Assuming your FAFSA application is complete and processed, award letters will be viewable on the students WebAdvisor account at the beginning of April.

Do I have to apply for financial aid every year?

 Yes. Please see How to Apply for more information.

How much will my family be expected to contribute towards my yearly college costs?

This will depend on several factors such as your EFC (Expected Family Contribution), your loan level, types of benefits and other resources you have available. Navarro College will put together a financial aid package that comes as close as possible to meeting your need. Once you have received notification of your awards, you and your family can determine how much money your family will need to contribute. We encourage you use our Net Price Calculator. For an estimate of your EFC, try FAFSA4caster.

How is financial need determined?

A simple formula determines your need at Navarro College:  Cost of Attendance minus Expected Family Contribution minus any other financial aid equals financial need.

Can I get financial aid for summer?

You will need to register for the summer session before we will begin to process any financial aid. You will be eligible for summer financial aid if you have not already reached your maximum annual or aggregate limits on loans and Pell Grants during the fall and spring semesters.For example, you are eligible for $5,500 and you have already received $3,500 for fall and spring. You would still be eligible for a maximum of $2,000 Stafford for summer.

If I have already received my financial aid award letter package and later receive an additional scholarship, will my awards change?

If you do not have unmet need, your other aid may be reduced.

What will happen to my financial aid awards if I move to off-campus housing?

Moving from on-campus to off-campus housing does not affect your financial aid awards. If you move from on-campus to off-campus with parents, your financial aid award package may be adjusted.

When should I contact the office of financial services rather than the office of student financial aid?

Contact the Cashier’s office if you have questions regarding your Navarro College bill or the E-Cashier payment plan.

Are there any payment plans that I can use to pay my tuition, fees and housing charges?

 Yes, Navarro College has a deferred payment plan. Information is available on E-Cashier.

How do I know if Navarro College has received my money?

You can view your account online through WebAdvisor. An email is also sent to the students email account when loan funds are posted to the students Navarro College account.

When will I get my refund?

The earliest refund dates of each semester are listed on our Refunds Page. If your money comes into the school after this date, your refund will be deposited within 14 days.

Can I transfer my financial aid to another institution?

No, you can’t actually transfer your financial aid from one school to another. You must first cancel your aid at your current school and have your student aid report submitted to your new school. You can do this by going to the website and adding the new school code.Your new school will then determine your eligibility at their institution and send you an award letter. You should also contact your lender to inform them of your intention to transfer schools. Keep in mind, you may not be eligible for the same amounts or types of aid at the new school, and it may delay the receipt of your financial aid.

What is satisfactory academic progress?

To maintain satisfactory academic progress you must be completing an acceptable percentage of attempted course work within a reasonable amount of time. In addition, you must have an adequate GPA.

What will happen to my financial aid if I drop a class?

 Always check with the Navarro College Office of Financial Aid for specific details.
Dropping a class can reduce your Pell Grant and could also impact your future loan level. Loan recipients who drop below half time will start using their loan grace period. Dropping a class can also create satisfactory academic progress problems, and you might not be eligible for any future financial aid assistance.

What happens to my financial aid if I withdraw from Navarro College?

Always check with the Navarro College Office of Financial Aid for specific details and see Full Withdrawal Form. Withdrawal can create satisfactory academic progress problems causing an automatic cancellation of any pending financial aid. If you choose to withdraw from Navarro College, call our withdrawal procedures hotline at (903) 875-7349.

My sister received a Pell Grant. Why didn't I receive one?

 In addition to parent’s income and assets, a student’s income and assets also affect Pell Grant eligibility. You may have a higher income or more assets than your sister.

Do I have to be a full-time student to receive my Pell Grant?

You are not required to be a full-time student (12 hours) to receive your Pell Grant. However, if you are enrolled in less than full-time, your Pell Grant will be prorated to match your enrollment status*. Please see below to determine what percentage of your total award you will be eligible for based on your enrollment status*.

Part-time ( Half-Time (6-8 hrs) = 50% award
Three-Quarter (9-11 hrs) = 75% award
Full-Time (12+hrs) = 100% award

* Enrollment status is based on classes that have started. Courses with a later start date in the same semester are not taken into account for this calculation until they begin.

Please note, WebAdvisor balances are not adjusted for current student enrollment status. This means that the amount listed is not necessarily the refund amount the student is owed. If you are less than full time (12 hours) please stop by a financial aid office to see your current remaining balance – refund amounts cannot be given over the phone.

When can I purchase my books?

Students with left over Pell Grant and/or student loans can use their funds in the bookstore beginning the week before classes start.

FAFSA Questions

When I complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), what types of financial aid am I considered for?

Once the Navarro College Office of Financial Aid receives your FAFSA information, they will determine if you are eligible for the following types of financial aid:
-Federal Pell Grant
-Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (SEOG)
-Federal subsidized and unsubsidized Stafford Loans
-Federal work study

I've missed the Navarro College deadline for priority aid consideration. Is it useless to file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) now?

You can still send your FAFSA in to apply for a Pell Grant and a Stafford Loan. More money is available from these two programs than from all other Navarro College financial aid programs combined.

Should I wait to file my FAFSA until my taxes are done?

Navarro College priority processing deadline is March 31. You want to meet this deadline to be considered for all types of aid. If you do not have your tax returns completed by the first week in March, you can estimate income figures on the FAFSA. However, it is best to complete your tax return early and provide accurate information. This will avoid corrections and delays in processing your aid.

What if I didn't list Navarro College federal school code on my FAFSA? How do I get the information to the Navarro College Office of Financial Aid?

 Go to the FAFSA corrections menu on the FAFSA website, add our school code (003593) to your application and submit the correction. You will need your PIN for this option. Another option is to replace or insert our school code (003593) on your paper SAR (Student Aid Report) and mail it back to the processor. The paper SAR must be signed by you, and, if you are a dependent student, your parent.You may call 1-800-433-3233 to change the school code.  You will need your data release number (DRN) for this option. The DRN is the four-digit number located in the bottom left hand corner of the SAR.

What can a family do if their earnings have been reduced compared to what they had to report on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)?

Complete a Navarro College special circumstance form with required documentation and summary of circumstances and turn it into the Navarro College ) Office of Financial Aid. The special circumstance form will be evaluated to see if any adjustments can be made, due to your individual circumstances.

If my parents are separated or divorced, who should complete the parent's information on the FAFSA?

 The parent you lived with most in the last 12 months should complete the FAFSA. If you did not live with one parent more than the other, answer in terms of the parent who provided the most financial support during the last 12 months or during the most recent calendar year that you actually were supported by a parent. Support includes money, gifts, loans, housing, food, clothes, car, medical and dental care, payment for college costs, etc.

If my parent has remarried, do I have to include my stepparent's information on the FAFSA?

Yes, if your parent is married on the day you completed the FAFSA.

My parents do not claim me on their tax forms. Do I need to include their information on the FAFSA?

Yes. See the definition of an independent student below.

I am really independent. Why do I have to apply for financial aid using my parent's information?

 The definition of “Independent” is defined specifically by the law. You will automatically be considered independent for financial aid purposes if you meet one or more of the following criteria:

  • You turned 24 before the beginning of the calendar year in which the school year began.
  • You are married on the date you complete the FAFSA (answer “Yes” if you are separated but not divorced).
  • At the beginning of the school year, you will be working on a graduate, doctorate or master’s degree program.
  • You are a veteran of the U.S. Armed forces.
  • You have children who will receive more than half of their support from you.
  • You have legal dependents (other than your children or spouse) who live with you and who receive more than half of their support from you, now and through the end of the school year.
  • When you were age 13 or older, both your parents were deceased, you were in foster care or you were a dependent/ward of the court.
  • As of today, you are an emancipated minor as determined by a court in your state of legal residence. A copy of a court’s decision must be provided.
  • As of today, you are in legal guardianship as determined by a court in your state of legal residence. A copy of a court’s decision must be provided.
  • Your high school or school district homeless liaison determined that you were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless.
  • The director of an emergency shelter program funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development determined that you were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless.
  • The director of a runaway or homeless youth basic center or transitional living program determined that you were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless or were self-supporting and at risk of being homeless.

If you cannot answer yes to any of the above questions, then you are considered dependent and must report your parent’s information on the FAFSA.

I originally reported that I had $2,000 in my savings account on my FAFSA. Since then I have used that money, can I correct this dollar amount?

 No, you must report asset information as of the date you signed the original FAFSA.

I'm going to be married during the school year. Can I fill out my FAFSA as “Married” now since I will be married in a few months?

 No. You must accurately report marital status at the time you complete the FAFSA. You might want to wait and complete your FAFSA after you are married. Consult with your financial aid advisor on this situation.

Loan Questions

Are loans considered financial aid?

Yes, loans are part of the federal student aid program and considered financial aid.

Why is the loan amount I signed for and the loan amount I received different?

 An “origination fee” is charged for Stafford Loans per the regulations governing the loan programs. The fee may not exceed 3% of the principal amount of the loan. The fee is deducted proportionately from each payment before the loan funds are disbursed to the school by the lender. The fee is paid to the federal government to defray the cost of the loan programs.

Thus, if a lender deducts the 3 percent origination fee from a $2,000 Stafford Loan that is to be paid in two installments, the student will receive payments of $970 and $970. However, the student will be responsible for the full value of the loan, $2,000. A lender may choose to pay all or part of the origination fee on behalf of their students.

The guarantor is also authorized to collect an insurance fee not to exceed 1 percent of the loan.  If the guarantor charges an insurance fee for its Stafford and PLUS loans, the lender may pass on the charge to the borrower.

For PLUS loans, the origination fee is always 3 percent and may not be reduced by the lender. The lender may also charge an insurance fee on Stafford and PLUS loans to defray the insurance fee charged by the guarantor; the fee is limited to 1 percent.

What is the difference between a subsidized and unsubsidized Stafford Loan?

The federal government is responsible for the interest that accumulates while you are in college at least half time with a subsidized Stafford Loan. You are responsible for the interest that accumulates while you are in college with an unsubsidized Stafford Loan.

When will my Stafford Loan be refunded?

Navarro college refunds students who have accepted their loans during the semester of enrollment. Refund dates are listed on our website. If a student accepts a loan after the initial refund date, loans will be refunded within 14 days. Note, if you are a first-time borrower there is a 30 day wait period from the first day of courses.

How many hours do I have to be enrolled in to qualify for a Stafford Loan?

Students must be enrolled in at least six credit hours listed on their degree plan in order to be eligible for Stafford Loans.

What will happen to my Stafford Loan if I drop below half time?

You will go into your grace period starting the date you drop below half time and any future disbursements will be canceled. You will also be required to complete exit counseling.

How do I consolidate my loans?

What if I receive my refund but then drop or I am deleted from all of my classes before they begin?

If you receive a refund and then are deleted from all of your classes, indicating that you never attended a class, you will owe all of the loan refund back to the college.  If you are dropped, withdraw, or are administratively withdrawn from the college, then we will do a calculation to determine what percentage of the semester you completed, and how much financial aid you earned at the point of withdrawal.  Any unearned portion of the financial aid awarded will be returned to the Department of Education as required by federal regulations.  Usually, if you withdraw before 60% of the semester is completed, you will owe the college the unearned portion of the financial aid back to the college.

Veteran Benefits

Where can I find more information on the GI bill?

You can find more information on the federal website at

Where can I find more information on the Hazlewood Act?

You can find more information on the Texas website at