GENERAL DESCRIPTION: The VA Administrative Assistant is responsible to the Director of Student Financial Aid. This individual will be responsible for carrying out the proper functions and duties necessary to provide adequate administrative and support services to Veteran students. In addition, the individual in this position will also ensure that an inviting and pleasing business environment exists in the financial aid office.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintains accurate and complete records with regard to Veteran aid programs and their recipients.
- Develops in depth expertise of all Veteran financial aid processes including benefits from different veteran programs.
- Becomes and remains familiar with the rules and regulations of all state and federal programs and ensures that the guidelines are followed.
- Assist veteran students with registering for approved programs.
- Demonstrates proficiency in using the Colleague Software System and ImageNow as well as systems specific to Veteran students including VA-ONCE and VONAPP.
- Orders records and transcripts from various military organizations and agencies.
- Assists in the overall operation of the Student Financial Aid Office.
- Provides and supports strong customer-oriented strategies in the Financial Aid office.
- Refers students to appropriate agencies as needed.
- Counsels students and parents concerning the costs of college and the programs available to help meet those costs.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND:
- High School degree required
- Veteran status preferred
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Be service-oriented with the ability to pay attention to details in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to utilize computer technology to access information, maintain records, generate reports and effectively communicate.
- Have a history of teamwork and customer service.
- The ability to communicate orally in both English and Spanish is preferred, and ability to write effectively.
- Possess a student-centered philosophy while effectively working with students, parents, administrators, staff and other diverse community groups.
- Valid Texas driver’s license required.
- Be able to work independently with minimum supervision.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills and the ability to function as a team player.
- Variances from regular working hours may be necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of the position.
- Busy working environment with numerous interruptions.
REPORTS TO: Director of Student Financial Aid
DEPARTMENT: Student Financial Aid Office
SALARY: $10.00 per hour / 19 hours per week
APPLICATION DEADLINE DATE: Open Until Filled