Under the general supervision of the Director of Physical Plant, the Maintenance Worker I / Locksmith performs work in the installation, repair, remodel and maintenance of manual and automated locks, locking systems and security devices; door openers, closers and hardware. Also performs maintenance, construction, repair or mechanical adjustment work involved in varied types of buildings and facilities and may serve in a lead worker capacity.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Installs, maintains, repairs and adjusts all types of locks and their components for campus buildings, rooms, furniture and vehicles; cuts and issues keys; programs and issues key cards
- Troubleshoots, repairs and programs computerized access control systems; maintains and repairs automatic door openers, door closing units and control gates; inspects completed work for conformance with specifications, requirements and compliance with applicable building and safety codes and regulations.
- Estimates cost, time and materials for locksmith projects and participates in the maintenance and operations of a locksmith shop.
- Installs, repairs and maintains commercial lockable hardware such as doors, automatic electric doors, windows, lockers and magnetic keying systems to ensure safety of facilities.
- Produces and/or modifies hardware for locks and replaces broken or lost keys.
- Monitors work done by outside contractors for adherence to state and federal code requirements and reports back to supervisor.
- Maintains appropriate service and repair records.
- Purchases and inventories equipment parts, chemicals and supplies.
- Responds to routine and emergency calls for repairs and service.
- Installs and repairs locks, hinges, door thresholds and door openers.
- Repairs and maintains walls, ceilings, floors, interior and exterior brick work, tile floors, drains, cement and concrete floors, sidewalks, steps, foundations, and other types of masonry, plaster and stonework.
- Basic knowledge of the procedures, methods, equipment and supplies used in the maintenance of buildings, fixtures and equipment.
- Obtains, stores, safeguards and properly uses equipment, materials, supplies and tools.
- Keeps record of work performed, materials used, and time spent on projects.
- Serves in a lead worker capacity as designated by supervisor.
- Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND:
- Graduation from high school or possession of a GED preferably supplemented with vocational or trade school training and four (4) years of experience as a locksmith in a commercial, industrial or facilities-type operational setting.
- Valid Texas driver’s license required.
- Ability to lift up to seventy (70) pounds.
- Agree to submit to background check.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Knowledge of the practices and procedures of materials and tools used in the locksmith trade, including complex access and control systems.
- Knowledge of all types of locks, fastening devices and related hardware.
- Knowledge of electrical locking and security systems, devices and applicable code requirements, including those regulations pertaining to fire exits and door hardware.
- Ability to work from plans and specifications.
- Knowledge of methods and practices followed in the maintenance of tools, machinery and equipment.
- Knowledge of safety precautions to be observed in the maintenance and installation of electronic and mechanical equipment.
- Ability to requisition, store, record, safeguard and properly use equipment, materials, supplies, and tools.
- Variances from regular working hours may be necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of the position.
- Busy working environment with numerous interruptions.
REPORTS TO: The Maintenance Worker I / Locksmith is directly accountable to the Director of Physical Plant.
DEPARTMENT: Physical Plant
SALARY: $29,849.00 Annually
APPLICATION DEADLINE DATE: Open Until Filled