The Director of College Stores, under the supervision of the Vice President of Operations, Institutional Advancement and Technology, plans, organizes, directs, and assures the efficient and effective operation of the College Stores located in Corsicana, Mexia, Waxahachie, and Midlothian. In addition, the Director of College Stores selects, trains, and evaluates bookstore staff and assists in the preparation and the monitoring of the departmental budget.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Plan, organize, and supervise the operation of the College bookstores; develop proposals regarding changes to operations and procedures in assigned areas of responsibility; prepare or supervise preparation of purchase orders for textbooks, supplies, and other merchandise.
- Assure maintenance of adequate inventory levels of bookstore; estimate sales levels; determine and order needed supplies to maintain inventory levels; plan, coordinate, and conduct annual physical inventories for the bookstores.
- Select, train, and evaluate bookstore staff; screen and interview applicants; administer and score tests; oversee training of staff; direct and assign duties to staff to assure proper staffing and customer service; prepare performance evaluations for staff.
- Confer with and assist administrators, faculty, staff, and students to answer questions and concerns and to assure that proper textbooks and supplies are available for students and staff when needed.
- Develop, update, and implement policies and procedures and necessary changes to the bookstore operations and policies; present or submit proposed changes to policies and procedures to supervisor for approval as required.
- Prepare and maintain records of departmental budget, annual sales and expenses; review and evaluate sales figures against budget to assure compliance with budgetary controls and perform needed adjustments; prepare and maintain a variety of records and reports related to sales, purchases, inventory, and budgets.
- Establish retail prices for merchandise based on established policies; negotiate with vendors to assure the lowest prices and timely delivery of purchases; negotiate and enter into contracts for goods and services with outside vendors with approval of management and the Board of Trustees.
- Evaluate and determine the need for the addition or deletion of items to be stocked in the bookstores; maintain current knowledge of changes and trends in the bookstore/retail market; research and evaluate market trends and needs.
- Coordinate and participate in the proper receipt, marking, display, stocking, or storage of merchandise; arrange for and direct the rental and return of scholarship books for student athletes.
- Account for daily monies received and accounts receivable, using proper College guidelines and procedures; assure proper payment of invoices.
- Establish guidelines and direct the repurchase and resale of used textbooks; negotiate and direct the return of textbooks and supplies to vendors.
- Prepare work orders for needed repairs and maintenance of the bookstore facility.
- Operate a variety of equipment, including a cash register, adding machine, calculator, typewriter, and copier.
- Serve as member on various College committees and teams.
- Participate in staff development activities for management/administrative personnel.
- Perform other work-related duties as assigned.
REQUIRED EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Accounting, Marketing, or related field.
- Five years managerial experience in retail environment that includes both clothing and/or book sales.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Modern methods and equipment used in operating an educational bookstore.
- Merchandising, marketing, floor planning, stock and inventory control, display and promotion.
- College practices used in purchasing retail merchandise for resale.
- State Education Codes, sales tax laws, and health laws related to the bookstore.
- Principles and practices of training and supervision.
- College organization, operations, policies, and objectives.
- Principles of business management.
- Sources and suppliers of books and non-book merchandise.
- Student texts, supplies, and related items.
- Merchandise systems and controls.
- Budget preparation and control.
- Security methods in a retail environment.
- Financial record-keeping methods.
- Operation of a computer terminal and data entry techniques.
- Plan, organize, direct, and assure the efficient and effective operation of the College bookstores.
- Assist in the preparation of the department budget and monitor on a continual basis.
- Promote and maintain ongoing cost-effectiveness evaluation.
- Coordinate daily bookstore operations, promotions, advertising, and sales.
- Plan for peak sales periods and annual inventories.
- Select, train, supervise, and evaluate personnel.
- Order and process merchandise to the point of sale on the floor.
- Review and analyze budget and financial records.
- Maintain an adequate supply of textbooks and other bookstore merchandise.
- Maintain merchandise inventory, controls, and records.
- Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action.
- Read, interpret, apply, and explain rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Work independently with little direction.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
- Prepare and present oral and written reports.
- Climbing step stools and ladders
- lifting and carrying up to 75 pounds
- standing for extended periods of time
- reaching overhead and above shoulders to stock shelves
- bending at the waist, kneeling and crouching
- Busy working environment; subject to constant interruptions
- Variances from regular working hours may be necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of the position
- This position is subject to evening hours and weekends.
- Must provide reliable transportation – mileage reimbursed.
- Must be insurable by college auto insurance policy.
REPORTS TO: Vice President of Operations, Institutional Advancement & Technology
SALARY: Commensurate with Education and Experience
APPLICATION DEADLINE DATE: September 22, 2014