Under the general supervision of the Comptroller, the Chief Accountant applies principles of accounting to analyze financial information and prepare financial reports for the College, the Board of Trustees, internal and external auditors, and others both internal and external to the College. This position requires a great deal of judgment, analytical skills, flexibility, and strong people skills. This position is responsible for implementing new/improved systems, policies and procedures. This position will assist with the preparation of the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR). Additionally, knowledge of new technology and banking/commerce methods is important to ensure the department is operating in the most efficient and cost effective manner. The employee will be able to maximize the strengths of staff members and help the department deliver excellent customer service.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for requesting and reconciling fund requests from the Department of Education for funding of PELL, SEOG, Federal College Work Study, Student Support Services Grant and Teach Grant.
- Coordinates with staff members to ensure that each bank account is reconciled monthly; reviews all bank reconciliations; post necessary journal entries
- Periodically, at least monthly, reviews all due to/from accounts, prepares journal entry and posts the necessary bank transfers to reconcile these accounts.
- Supervises one full time and one part time employee; trains these employees on associated job duties.
- Reviews and approves through Colleague the payment vouchers for the Bookstore on a weekly basis; prepares the journal entries for the interdepartmental bookstore billings on a weekly basis.
- Prepares monthly financial statements including: Source of Funds, Disbursement of Funds, Cash and Investment balances, and Statement of Budget Changes.
- Prepares financial reports, for government agencies to be submitted quarterly, semi-annually and annually as needed.
- Assists the Comptroller with preparation of the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report; works with the necessary parties to gather the information for the Statistical Section.
- Prepares the Quarterly Investment Report; attends PFIA training on a biannual basis.
- Control of Fixed Assets via Fixed Asset Management Program (RCI), and maintain its accuracy.
- Prepares the monthly sales tax returns; submits the monthly remittances of sales tax
- Prepares the annual unclaimed property report; submits the remittance to the state for unclaimed property; Monitors the outstanding checks on monthly basis and coordinates the researching of those that are past six months old.
- Monitors compliance with federal, state, and college policies and procedures.
- Coordinates with all college locations to assure cash is properly collected and deposited in a timely manner.
- Work with financial institutions to fulfill the banking needs of the College and to assure terms of the Depository Contracts are met.
- Monitors and verifies online account balances at all financial institutions in which the college has relationships on a daily basis; daily checks positive pay exception report.
- Weekly uploads checks written information to the bank; Weekly uploads to Commerce Bank voucher information for vendor payments.
- Assures all ACH (Automated Clearing House) transactions are recorded by working closely with the Bursar.
- Ensures that wires and refund files are sent for student refunds in a timely manner by working closely with the Bursar and Accounts Payable; Reconciles the wire transfers per the bank to the check register as the processes are completed.
- Serve as first line point of reference for day to day transactions with all financial institutions.
- Prepares manual vouchers and journal entries for monthly payroll after reconciling totals with the Payroll Manager.
- Coordinates the courier schedule and mail delivery with assistance of the Coordinator of Campus Services
- Serves as contact for Business Office in the absence of the Comptroller.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Comptroller.
REQUIRED EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND:
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Experience may be substituted for education.
- Minimum two (2) years accounting or associated experience, preferably in a supervisory capacity.
- At least five (5) years’ experience with administrative software.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration with concentration in Accounting.
- Preference will be given to applicants with Colleague experience.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Excellent personal computing skills.
- Excellent administrative software utility skills.
- Experience in electronic file transfers.
- Excellent communication and customer service skills.
- Independent thinker and self-starter.
- Ability to work with a minimum of supervision and with teams in a deadline and detail-oriented environment.
- Excellent leadership and organizational skills and the ability to motivate people.
- Excellent integrity and demonstrates good moral character and initiative.
- Exhibit a personality that demonstrates interpersonal skills to relate well with students, staff, administration, parents and the community.
- Variances from regular working hours may be necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of the position.
- Busy working environment with numerous interruptions.
REPORTS TO: Comptroller
SALARY: Commensurate with Education and Experience (This is a 12 month position to be paid over 12 months annually)
APPLICATION DEADLINE DATE: Open Until Filled