The Accounts Payable Specialist is principally responsible for performing all aspects of accounts payable according to standard accounting practices and procedures adopted by the District.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Enters information into the computer for the preparation of correspondence, checks or other documents.
- Updates files and records relating to accounts payable.
- Responsible for collection and organizing documents needed to process invoices and purchase orders for payment.
- Undertakes matching of supporting documents and purchase orders.
- Assists employees by answering questions concerning accounts payable
- Professional interaction with vendors and campus staff in tracking down documents or responding to questions or concerns
- Provide assistance to vendors concerning accounts payable information.
- Assures that accounts payable checks are printed and disbursed on time.
- Checks and approves all vouchers for payment.
- Weekly filing of accounts payable payment records.
- Prepares manual checks for payment when needed.
- Works closely with the Purchasing department to ensure the accuracy of invoices and resolve invoice discrepancies.
- Researches and resolves any outstanding balances on accounts, including telephone, mail, or email communications with vendors.
- Provides accurate and effective document preparation and records management relative to the accounts payable function in accordance to record retention policies and laws.
- Assists in annual audit by preparing assigned reports or providing documentation as directed by the Comptroller.
- Maintains a procedure manual of accounts payable tasks as a backup guide when such assistance becomes necessary.
- Researches and recommends programs, policies and procedures to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of the accounts payable function, including new software, internal controls, new electronic payment technologies, and customer service.
- Weekly reconciliation of Commerce Bank Statement.
- Maintains Blanket Purchase Orders to determine which can be closed, need adjustments, etc.
- Processes travel vouchers mileage logs, etc.
- Processes student refunds, prepares info for Staff Accountant to complete wire transfer process.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND:
- High school diploma or GED equivalent.
- College course work in accounting or business administration.
- One (1) to two (2) years experience in account/clerical work.
- Will consider any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Good knowledge of modern account records and accounting practices.
- Some knowledge of office management, practices and specialized college functions.
- Basic computer literacy including the use of word processing and spread sheets.
- Ability to apply knowledge of record keeping to the maintenance of accounts.
- Ability to exercise tact and diplomacy to the day-to-day affairs of the office.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Must have excellent computer and people skills.
- Variances from regular working hours may be necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of the position.
- Busy working environment with numerous interruptions.
REPORTS TO: Comptroller
SALARY: $21,862.00 (This is a 12 month position to be paid over 12 months annually)
APPLICATION DEADLINE DATE: Open Until Filled