This is a grant funded position and continuation is dependent upon availability of funds
The Academic Advisor/Financial Services Coordinator will be responsible for coordinating the TRiO Student Support Services Program Financial Aid assistance and Financial Literacy services. Will collaborate with the Financial Aid Office and the Veteran’s Services Coordinator to ensure TRiO SSS students are educated about Financial Aid (grants, loans, and scholarships), FAFSA, Veteran’s Benefits, and Financial and Economic Literacy.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Coordinates all Financial Aid, FAFSA completion, and Veteran’s benefits advising for TRiO SSS students.
- Provides Financial Aid (grants and loans) and FAFSA training for TRiO SSS staff.
- Coordinates Financial Aid and Financial Literacy programs and workshops for the TRiO program.
- Provides advising for students with regard to educational, career, and course options.
- Advises students on academic programs so they reach goals such as program completion, graduation, and successful university transfer.
- Provide financial literacy, financial aid, and FAFSA assistance and advising to students.
- Monitor student academic progress (including collaboration with faculty) and provide interventions within program guidelines.
- Maintain student files and electronic database (Blumen) for case management, tracking student progress, and monitoring program participation.
- Maintains familiarity with programs and services on- and off-campus in order to provide students with sufficient resources or referral to appropriate community agencies.
- Provides academic advising, mentoring, class scheduling, and registration assistance for students.
- Use Colleague to monitor student progress and persistence.
- Assist students in identifying university transfer course equivalents and in arranging university departmental contacts to facilitate transfers successfully.
- Assists with special campus programs such as new student orientation. BeauCamp, College Day, Information Sessions, and Career Day programs.
- Networks with other departments to maintain updated information on career options.
- Prepares and presents educational workshops/seminars as needed.
- Participate in professional development related to TRiO, financial aid, financial literacy, FAFSA, and academic advising – local, state, and/or national.
- Serves on college committees as assigned/invited.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Project Director and/or College Administration.
REQUIRED EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- Master’s degree in Education.
- One (1) year professional experience in Higher Education, Education, TRiO, and/or providing Economic and Financial Literacy training.
- Two (2) years of experience providing assistance with Financial Aid and FAFSA for pre-college and college students.
- Preference given to candidates who have a similar background to participants served by TRiO programs.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Ability to think critically and creatively.
- Excellent interpersonal, relationship, communication, organizational, and promotional skills required.
- Understanding of and commitment to the community college philosophy.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse groups and individuals coupled with interaction with community leaders, city, county, and school officials, administrators, faculty, staff, and students.
- Ability to utilize computer technology to access information, to maintain records, to generate reports and to communicate effectively.
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision.
- Capable of handling multiple responsibilities.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills and the ability to function as a team player.
- Willingness to work in a busy environment with numerous interruptions.
- Willingness to work 11 months of the year with off-time and vacation taken only during select times of the year, based upon College calendar, needs of the students and the institution, and supervisor’s advance approval.
- Ability to communicate effectively in the Spanish language is strongly preferred.
- Variances from regular working hours may be necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of the position.
- Busy working environment with numerous interruptions.
REPORTS TO: Director of TRiO Student Support Services
SALARY: $27,500. – $38,000. – Commensurate with Education and Experience (This is an 11 month position to be paid over 12 months annually)
APPLICATION DEADLINE DATE: Open Until Filled