Reporting to the Dean of Students on the main campus in Corsicana, the Academic Advisor will be responsible for providing academic advising, career counseling, and mentoring to a diverse population of college students.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides academic advising, mentoring, class scheduling, and registration assistance for students.
- Assists students through a student-centered, holistic advising model that contributes to student success and which entails career exploration, intervention strategies, and holistic student development.
- Provides advising for students with regard to educational, career, and course options.
- Assists students with career exploration and identification of related majors/fields of study.
- Advises students on academic programs so they reach goals such as program completion, graduation, and successful university transfer.
- Provides educational and personal development assistance and refers students to appropriate agencies as needed.
- Follows up on faculty referrals, Early Intervention Referrals, advising contacts, etc.
- Assists with tracking and compiling program/student learning outcomes.
- Maintains familiarity with programs and services on and off campus in order to provide students with sufficient resources to appropriate agencies.
- Assist students in identifying university transfer course equivalents and in utilizing university departmental contacts to facilitate transfers successfully.
- Assist university representatives with coordination of on-campus visits.
- Communicates with other institutions to maintain an up-to-date store of information for current students.
- Assists with special campus programs.
- Teaches the First Year Experience course.
- Represents the College in the Community at job fairs, high school programs, and other Community events as needed.
- Networks with other departments to maintain updated information on programs and career options.
- Prepares and presents educational seminars as needed.
- Sponsors a club or student organization.
- Serves on college committees as assigned/invited.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Assist with recruiting, training, and supervising qualified work-study students as needed.
REQUIRED EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND:
- Master’s degree in counseling or related field.
- Minimum one (1) year experience in an advising position.
- Previous school and/or college work experience.
- LPC preferred.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Excellent interpersonal, relationship, communication, organizational, and promotional skills required.
- Ability to communicate effectively in the Spanish language is strongly preferred.
- Understanding of and commitment to the community college philosophy.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse groups and individuals coupled with interaction with community leaders, city, county, and school officials, administrators, faculty, staff, and students.
- Ability to utilize computer technology to access information, to maintain records, to generate reports and to communicate effectively.
- Ability to work independently with a minimum of supervision.
- Capable of handling multiple responsibilities.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills and the ability to function as a team player.
- Willingness to work in a busy environment with numerous interruptions.
- Willingness to work some evenings and an occasional weekend if called upon.
- Willingness to work 11 months of the year with off-time and vacation taken only during selective times of the year, based upon College calendar, needs of the students and the institution, and supervisor’s advance approval.
- Variances from regular working hours may be necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of the position.
- Busy working environment with numerous interruptions.
REPORTS TO: Dean of Students
SALARY: Commensurate with Education and Experience (This is an 11 month position to be paid over 12 months annually)
APPLICATION DEADLINE DATE: Open Until Filled