Under the supervision of the Chief or other supervisory officer, and in cooperation with municipal, county and State law enforcement officers, the Campus Police Officer is responsible for providing foot and vehicular security patrol and surveillance of the Navarro College Campus or a portion thereof.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides foot and vehicular police patrol and surveillance
- Takes measures necessary to safeguard the lives and property of all members of the College community and visitors to the campus
- Investigates criminal, civil, and other complaints including motor vehicle violations committed by or against the College and community and observes established regulations and policies in such work
- Enforces traffic and parking regulations on campus and cooperates with and assists municipal, county and State police in traffic control as required
- Provides general assistance to all persons on the campus, including information regarding campus locations, special events, campus regulations, provisions of the law and other matters
- Helps to maintain order at places where people gather in numbers
- Checks the conditions of buildings and takes steps to protect them from damage and theft
- Takes needed action as to suspicious persons and conditions and reports significant actions, occurrences and events
- Makes investigations of complaints involving misconduct, suspicious behavior, illegal activities, improper conditions and other matters within the field of police operations
- Ensure that Fire/EMS first responders are contacted and swiftly directed to the scene in case of accidents and/or medical assist calls
- Apprehends, warns and/or takes into custody violators of the law
- Prepares clear, accurate and informative reports of significant activities and conditions
- Scheduled working hours will include night and/or swing shifts, weekends and holidays as required
- Performs other related duties as assigned by a supervisor
REQUIRED EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND:
- Graduation from high school or vocational school or possession of approved high school equivalent certificate.
- Peace Officer License issued by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) must be in good standing.
- Driver’s license valid in the State of Texas and in good standing (no more than 2 traffic citations within any 3 year period to ensure insurability for operating NCDPS patrol vehicles and other College-owned vehicles)
- Two years of college.
- Two years experience in law enforcement.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Bi-Annual completion of 40 hours of Texas Peace Officer in-service training
- Considerable knowledge of the proper police procedures to be used in the dealing with people and safeguarding buildings and property
- Ability to acquire a considerable knowledge of all campus locations, including doors, switches, heating plants and fire and safety equipment as well as department locations and the time and place of regular and special meetings and events
- Ability to comprehend, analyze, interpret and apply to specific situations, the laws, local ordinances and campus police rules and regulations
- Ability to maintain essential campus police records and to write clear, accurate and comprehensive police reports
- Ability to recognize and report situations and conditions that are potentially dangerous
- Wide knowledge of the problems involved in following prescribed procedures embodied in police rules and regulations
- Basic knowledge of maintaining order in the buildings and on campus ground and areas among visitors and in controlling and regulating vehicular traffic to assure safety, a reasonable rapid movement to traffic and a minimum of interference
- Ability to work harmoniously with associates, superior officers, campus visitors, students, faculty, staff and others
- Must be able to work nights and weekends
- Preference given to candidates with 2+ years active full-time police patrol experience
- Variances from regular working hours may be necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of the position.
- Busy working environment with numerous interruptions.
REPORTS TO: Chief of Police
SALARY: Commensurate with Education and Experience (This is a 12 month position to be paid over 12 months annually)
APPLICATION DEADLINE DATE: Open Until Filled