The Comptroller is responsible to the Vice President for Finance and Administration for the financial accounting, reporting and payroll functions of the College. The Comptroller is responsible for providing leadership in the daily operations of all financial/accounting related functions for Navarro College including interacting with all campus locations.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supervise the Business Office and related areas of the College in an efficient manner.
- Handle all business management operations of a routine nature, including but not limited to, accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, purchasing, physical inventory, cash receipts and banking operations.
- Exercise budgetary control by certifying funds availability for all expenditures.
- Supervise the preparation of all monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports.
- Assure approvals of expenditures are in compliance with College Signature Authority.
- Monitor and approve all financial aspects of grants awarded to the College.
- Supervise staff benefit coordination for College employees assuring that all enrollments, reports and other required data is collected in a timely manner and reported to the proper agency.
- Coordinate with all college locations’ financial areas to assure cash is properly collected and deposited in a timely manner.
- Work with financial institutions to fulfill the banking needs of the College and to assure terms of the Depository Contracts are met.
- Assure that proper collateral is pledged to the College by banking entities to cover deposits.
- Serve as one of the Investment Officers for the College.
- Work closely with other College areas, especially the Admissions and Records Office and Student Financial Aid, to assure accuracy of data for student accounts.
- Maintain, update and implement additions to administrative software for all areas of functionality affecting the financial record keeping of the College.
- Carry to completion special projects and assignments upon request by the Vice President for Finance and Administration of the College.
- Provide supervision for the Bursar, Chief Accountant, Payroll Manager, Payroll Clerk, Head Cashier, Accounts Payable, Purchasing Agent, and Auxiliary Systems Specialist.
- Serves as a committee member of the Navarro College Retirement Plan.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting or a related field
- Minimum of five years administrative experience relating to financial management
- Accounting experience
- Computer Operation Skills
- Certified Public Accountant
- Administrative experience in a community college environment
- Knowledge of Colleague Software
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Knowledge of accounting
- Knowledge of payroll and staff benefits
- Financial management skills
- Understanding of community college philosophy
- Leadership and management skills
- Commitment to institutional effectiveness
- Commitment to professional development
- Decision making ability
- Team building skills
- Excellent judgment skills
- Ability to interact and work well with a diverse college community
- Ability to understand and operate administrative computer software
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Variances from regular working hours may be necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of the position.
- Busy working environment with numerous interruptions.
REPORTS TO: Vice President of Finance and Administration
SALARY: Commensurate with Education & Experience (This is a 12 month position to be paid over 12 months annually)
APPLICATION DEADLINE DATE: Open Until Filled