The Director of Student Life will provide educational and administrative leadership for the co-curricular programs and student organizations and actively participate in college programs and events. The Director plans, directs, manages and oversees the activities and operation of the Student Life department, including advising the Student Government Association, coordination of all student organizations, volunteer programs, student leadership development, and student special events. The Director reports to the Vice President of Student Services.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop a comprehensive student development program that encourages student involvement, participation and leadership that emphasizes positive citizenship and responsibility.
- Assess the interests and needs of the student body relative to co-curricular involvement, opportunities and programs.
- Encourage and assist students and student groups in the development of social, cultural, civic, intellectual and recreational programs that expand the level of student involvement within the campus community and society.
- Encourage students and organizations to explore self-directed activities that provide opportunities for self-realization and personal growth.
- Inform and discuss with students and student groups institutional policies and procedures and how these relate to their lives/activities.
- Maximize campus involvement opportunities that provide hands-on learning experiences for students.
- Development of programs that provide linkage with all student service units, academic programming, and student governance.
- Provide supervision and direction for the Student Government Association (SGA), as well as for all clubs and organizations under the sponsorship of the SGA.
- Develop activities that promote greater understanding among diverse ethnic groups on the campus.
- Maintain and publish the student events calendar.
- Attend campus committee meetings as requested.
- Provide leadership for the planning and execution of Beau Camp, Bulldog Bash, the student events of Homecoming, the Mr. & Ms. Navarro College selection process, Dress for Success initiative, and Student Appreciation Banquet in cooperation with other areas of the College.
- Communicate with students on a regular basis by telephone, email, mail, social media, and in-person.
- Mentor students and refer them as necessary to the appropriate offices.
- Empower student leaders with meaningful guidance through close supervision, direction, and modeling.
- Promote risk management to include such areas as drug and alcohol use prevention and Title IX through ongoing training of student club sponsors and officers and student activities.
- Represent Navarro College and its programs to the community.
- Provide thorough reports to the Vice President for Student Services concerning areas of responsibility.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Vice-President for Student Services.
REQUIRED EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND:
- Bachelor’s degree in Student Personnel, Counseling or related field.
- Master’s Degree.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Must be able to effectively interact with all members of the campus community.
- Must have an understanding of Student Government, including basic knowledge of Roberts Rules of Order, and have the ability to plan, direct, manage and oversee the activities and operation of the Student Government Association and the Student Activities department.
- Must be able to provide educational and administrative leadership for co-curricular programs and student organizations.
- Must have an understanding and prior experience in planning activities on a community college campus.
- Ability to communicate with students in a positive, courteous and helpful way.
- Must be able to maintain order and discipline.
- Must be able to pay attention to details.
- Frequent variances from regular working hours may be necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of this position, including nights and weekends.
- Must be able to work in an environment with numerous interruptions.
- Variances from regular working hours may be necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of the position.
- Busy working environment with numerous interruptions.
- Ability to lift up to 80 lbs.
REPORTS TO: Vice President of Student Services
SALARY: $50,000.00 (This is a 12 month position to be paid over 12 months annually)
APPLICATION DEADLINE DATE: Open Until Filled