Under the direction of the Vice President of Academic Affairs, the Executive Dean of Career & Technical Education will provide leadership, guidance and direction to the division District-wide. Duties include supervision, management and coordination of curriculum/instructional matters for the District. The Executive Dean provides supervision to faculty, support services and supervises class schedules to maximize the use of faculty class assignments. The departmental finances are controlled by the Executive Dean, in addition to having the responsibility of submitting the projected or adjusted budget for ensuing fiscal years. The Executive Dean will have strong communications skills so that the Vice President of Academic Affairs and other lead administrators are fully informed at all times.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Advises and fully informs the Vice President of Academic Affairs on all matters concerning the division.
- Ensures that all operations meet SACS criteria and compliance.
- Reviews, approves and oversees the preparation and administration of budgets for the division areas.
- In conjunction with the Deans on all campuses, assists with the preparation of instructional program budgets
- Approves requisitions or other supporting paperwork to purchase needed materials for the division.
- Develops and evaluates short and long-range goals and objectives for the Career & Technical Education division.
- Assists the Deans and Vice President of Academic Affairs in the development of long and short-range objectives for the instructional program.
- Supervises and evaluates job performances of support personnel and the Dean of Career & Technical Education.
- Recommends policy and policy revisions.
- Maintains rapport with community, industry and independent school districts and assists other Executive Deans and Deans with the development and implementation or articulation agreements, tech-prep programs, and dual credit programs.
- Coordinates publicity and registration activities for the division in coordination with the Director of Marketing.
- Serves on the Academic Council and participates in Deans and Administrators meetings.
- Promotes communication within the division.
- Researches and evaluates additions of new programs and expansion of existing programs.
- Evaluates performance of current programs and recommends closure as appropriate.
- Recommends catalog revisions for areas related to Business, Professional and Technical Education Division.
- Establishes and maintains an effective liaison with relevant industries, professional groups and associations and advise Division Directors of their needs for educational programs.
- Participates on institutional committees as assigned.
- Submits Division program initiations/revisions to the THECB once institutional approval procedures have been met.
- Coordinates the articulation of programs with universities and/or business/industry.
- Participates in division meetings and advisory committee meetings as requested by the Vice President of Academic Affairs, Executive Deans and Deans.
- Develops and submits institutional effectiveness reports for the division and ensures that appropriate information is being collected and maintained to ensure reporting is accurate and timely.
- Submits weekly reports to the Vice President of Academic Affairs.
- Provides leadership, guidance and direction for the Carl Perkins Program.
- Provides leadership, guidance and direction for the Small Business Development Center initiative.
- Evaluates course equivalency/evaluation for courses within the BPTE Division.
- Evaluates military credit for courses within the BPTE Division.
- Supervises the Dean’s List for students in the BPTE Division.
- Assists in resolving complaints/conflicts within the division.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Vice President of Academic Affairs.
- Reviews evaluations of full and part-time faculty and participates in the actual evaluation conference.
- Coordinates proper maintenance of all instructional equipment and facilities pertaining to the division.
- Ensures that courses taught have adequate facilities, equipment, and supplies.
- Keeps Executive Deans and Deans apprised of matters that affect instruction.
- Provides services that support creativity and innovations in teaching methods and techniques.
Faculty: Professional and Personal Development
- Exercises formal and informal leadership.
- Involves faculty, Department Chairs and Deans in decision-making.
- Promotes internal/external communications.
- Attends appropriate local, national and state conferences related to quality in off-campus programs.
Curriculum and Instruction
- Teaches classes as assigned by the Vice President of Academic Affairs.
- Makes class size adjustments based upon guidelines established by college policy.
- Collects grade book for full and part-time faculty at the end of each semester and maintains these records for a period of two years.
- Addresses student issues and complaints as appropriate within due process, keeping the Vice President of Academic Affairs and the Vice President of Student Services fully informed.
- Participates in academic/individual counseling and advisement of students.
- Advises students of financial aid opportunities and assists in seeking financial support.
- Coordinates the preparation of degree plans.
- Attends student functions, including athletic events, performances, and student recognition banquets.
- Assists in the recruitment of students.
- Maintains an effective program to assist all students with the use of the Library.
- Reviews academic suspensions for students enrolled in degree programs within the Career & Technical Education Division on the Corsicana Campus.
REQUIRED EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND:
- Master’s degree
- A doctorate degree in Higher Education Administration or a related field.
- A minimum of three (3) years administrative experience, preferably in a community college, at the division director level or above.
- A minimum of two (2) years community college teaching experience.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Knowledge and understanding of the function and operation of a four-year college/university preferred.
- Knowledge and awareness of customer service strategies.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- An understanding of and commitment to the community college philosophy.
- Commitment to quality education and the professional development of faculty and staff.
- A student-oriented philosophy.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing and ability to work effectively with students, faculty, administrators, classified staff, and diverse community groups.
- Commitment to the concepts of institutional effectiveness and the ability to provide leadership in planning and evaluation of academic programs.
- Dedication to innovation and creativity.
- Variances from regular working hours may be necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of the position.
- Busy working environment with numerous interruptions.
REPORTS TO: Vice President of Academic Affairs
SALARY: Commensurate with Education and Experience (This is a 12 month position to be paid over 12 months annually)
APPLICATION DEADLINE DATE: Open Until Filled