Welcome! The Learning Commons at Navarro College provides a comprehensive approach to student learning. The Learning Commons provides instruction from both Navarro professors, peer mentors, and the Learning Commons staff. This range of available academic help allows the student to stay on track with the professor’s schedule, while at the same time providing instruction in a safe, confidential environment.
Peer mentors understand your frustrations, and quite often, have used the services provided by the Learning Commons at some point in the past. Peer mentors have taken the classes they tutor, and thus, they know the material and the instructor’s expectations. But at the same time, they are your peers. They are students that go to the same school, attend the same classes, and listen to the same music.
- Offers more individualized, systematic, structured learning experience.
- The Learning Commons is a community dedicated to learning excellence.
- Provides greater congruence between teacher and learner.
- Improves academic performance and personal growth.
- Improves attitude toward subject area.
- Generates stronger effects than other individualized teaching strategies.
- Motivates self-paced and self-directed learning.
- Peer tutors help the student to work toward self-responsibility and self direction.
- Improves self-esteem.
- Peer tutors “speak the same language” and can connect with the student.
The Learning Commons Team
“10 tutoring hours over a 14-week semester were associated with a 1/3-letter course grade improvement, while 20 hours were associated with a full letter-grade improvement.”