Posted: Monday, December 7, 2015 5:50 pm
By Deanna Kirk, DailySun
Corsicana experienced its biggest Christmas parade in recent memory, when over 200 entries made their way through downtown Saturday.
Santa was joined by Mickey and Minnie Mouse, Olaf and some Minions. There were fire trucks galore, Jeeps, horses, tractors, motorcycles, classic cars, hot rods, and lots and lots of candy.
“We had a wonderful parade, and the participation shows that people want it to be at night and not in the daytime,” said organizer Tammie McWhorter. “We had a fantastic turnout. I’ve never seen so much candy in my life! It was a blast. I think all the kids loved Olaf, Mickey, Minnie and the Minions. There were so many blowups on the floats, and even snow.”
McWhorter, who along with Robin Ratliff assisted parade guru Dennis Thornberg, said Thornberg’s comment was that “in over his 18 years of doing parades, this was the biggest.”
People were spotted taking positions to view the parade as early as 4 p.m., in order to get good vantage points. Crowds swelled along the parade route and remained throughout the two-hour parade. Chilly, dry weather made for perfect parade weather.
Judges gave awards in 10 different categories. All parade entrants who received awards will be presented their trophies at 6 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 12 at the Optimist room at the YMCA if they so choose.
Winner’s in each category were:
• Santa’s Choice: True Value Distribution
• Best Overall: Navarro College Art Club
• Best Volunteer Fire Department: Mustang VFD
• Best Float: Collins Middle School Cheer
• Best Education Division: Stay N Play Childcare and Learning Center
• Best Band: Sounds of Navarro (Navarro College)
• Best Religious: Cowboy Church of Corsicana
• Best Use of Music: Twilight Home
• Best Decorated Vehicle: Navarro County Humane Society
• Best Costumes: Chinelos de Morelos — Danza Azteca
The volunteers of the Festival of Lights appreciated help from the Corsicana Police Department, the Corsicana Fire Department, and the Corsicana Emergency Services, as well as Guardian Industries of Corsicana as the sponsor of the event and the Guardian employees as the Grand Marshal for the 2015 parade.