What is TRiO?
The Federal TRiO programs are educational opportunity outreach programs designed to motivate and support students from disadvantaged backgrounds. TRiO includes eight outreach programs targeted to serve and assist low-income, first-generation college students, and students with disabilities to progress through the academic pipeline from middle school to baccalaureate programs. The term “TRIO” was coined in the late 1960’s to describe the original three programs which are Educational Talent Search, Upward Bound, and Student Support Services.
TRiO Student Support Services (SSS) is a program designed to help eligible students earn an associate’s degree and transfer to a four-year school to earn a bachelor’s degree. Funded by the U.S. Department of Education, TRiO SSS offers its participant and array of services designed to make their college careers successful. From an assigned TRiO SSS Advisor who is dedicated to each student’s success to free tutoring and success workshops, participation in TRiO helps students make the most of their college education. Navarro College is funded to serve 300 participants. Watch our TRiO SSS Video.
To QUALIFY for Student Support Services:
- You must be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident
- One or more of the following must apply to you:
- You are from a low income family
- Your parents did not graduate from a four-year college
- You have a physical or learning disability
TRiO SSS Services
- Academic Planning and Transfer Guidance
- One-on-One, group, and online tutoring
- Financial Aid application assistance
- Success Workshops (Topics include financial literacy, time management, organization, etc.)
- University visits
- Computer usage
- Helping Hands student organization
- TRiO Grant Aid and Scholarship Resources
To Apply for Services
We are delighted that you are interested in applying for the TRiO Student Support Services (SSS) program at Navarro College. The TRiO SSS Program is a grant funded program by the U.S. Department of Education and the information that you provide will be used to determine your eligibility for program services. All of the information collected will be held in confidence by project staff.
Your application will be reviewed by the Assistant Director to determine whether or not you meet the minimum program requirements and if TRiO SSS can benefit you. If you meet the minimum requirements, one of the TRiO staff members will contact you to schedule an interview. PLEASE COMPLETE ALL INFORMATION REQUIRED (Incomplete applications will not be considered).
Navarro College TRiO SSS participants must be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, or meet the residency requirements for FEDERAL student financial assistance. Participants must be accepted for admissions into Navarro College and should be an incoming freshman or continuing student at the college pursuing an associate’s degree. In addition to meeting at least one of the following criteria:
- Be a first generation college student (neither parent has earned a 4-year college degree)
- Meet low income standards by the federal government; and/or
- Have a documented disability
TRiO SSS participants can expect the following FREE student support services:
- Personal academic advising and registration
- Computer usage with access to internet
- One-on-one or group tutoring
- Financial aid application assistance
- Scholarship opportunities
- Printing for academic purposes
- Attend study skills workshops and seminars
- Advising on transferring to a 4-year college/university
- Grant aid to active participants who meet eligibility requirements
Paper applications should be completed and returned to:
2nd Floor on Gooch One-Stop Student Center
Phone: (903) 875-7714 or (903) 875-7713
Fax: (903) 875-7673
Forms & Links