POSITION PURPOSE: Adjunct faculty positions are part-time instructor positions. This position will be for a part-time English as a Second Language instructor in the English Language Institute for the Navarro College Corsicana campus. The Part-Time instructor will perform a variety of classroom management duties in the efficient operation of an administrative capacity of the college. The Instructor will perform all instructional teaching, classroom management, maintain all files, supervise aide(s), and other duties associated with the Intensive English Language Institute.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Reports directly to and is responsible to the Coordinator of Adult Education and the Dean of Science, Kinesiology, and PASS
- Be familiar with rules and regulations of the Adult Education programs as stated in the operating guide for Adult Education programs in Texas.
- Responsible for management and accuracy of all monthly TEAMS (Texas Educating Adults Management Systems) data for students.
- Keep Adult Education program updated on all concerns regarding site, classes, students, and TEAMS.
- Maintain student attendance and retention in class.
- Administer assessments as required by TWC (Texas Workforce Commission).
- Maintain active membership of TALAE (Texas Association for Literacy & Adult Education).
- Meet state and federal targets of performance.
- Acquire professional development required by TWC by attending state & local conferences, workshops, and all other training sessions available.
- To administer BEST (Basic English Skills Test) Plus and/or TABE (Test for Adult Basic Education) when applicable.
- Attend GED Graduation/National Adult Education Honor Society (NAEHS) Induction ceremony and all other special events.
- Turn in all paperwork in a timely manner.
- Create student lesson plans and provide a structured class schedule.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND:
- Bachelor’s degree
- experience with English Language Acquisition
PREFERRED EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND:
- Bachelor’s degree in English as a Second Language (ESL), Linguistics, Foreign Language Education, Bilingual Education, or TESOL or other Language Education area or
- A Bachelor’s degree and at least 18 baccalaureate hours in ESL, Linguistics, and/or Second Language Acquisition, including 3 hours of teaching methodology
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Demonstrate a spirit of team work.
- Must be proficient in classroom management, office management and have basic computer literacy skills. Must have good typing and keyboarding skills.
- Must have the ability to work effectively with students, faculty, administrators, and staff with the willingness to work in a cooperative way with others across multiple functions and departments.
- Must develop a thorough knowledge of the Adult Education policies and procedures and have the ability to use that information in various situations.
- Must be able to work in a busy environment with numerous interruptions.
- Demonstrate professionalism and ability to work independently and under pressure.
- Variances from regular working hours may be necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of the position.
- Busy working environment with numerous interruptions.
REPORTS TO: Director of International Programs/English Language Institute
SALARY: Commensurate with Education and Experience
APPLICATION DEADLINE DATE: Open until Filled