This position is under the direct supervision of the Assistant Director and general supervision of the Director of Dining Services. The International Cook is principally responsible for the preparation, cooking and serving of food for the “Culture Counter” area, which serves students, staff and visitors.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepare food for “Counter Culture” area and pasta cooker per menu provided by Director.
- Uses recipes when needed and adjusts volume accordingly.
- Uses proper food handling techniques during all phases, from preparation to serving of customers.
- Observe customers during serving times and provides area with more food as needed.
- Check temperature of food before placing on serving line and during service periods.
- Keep area clean and sanitized during service periods.
- Keep sanitation solution and disposable gloves in area at all times.
- Change disposable gloves as often as necessary to prevent cross contamination.
- After each meal clean and sanitize area before beginning preparation of next meal.
- Leftovers may be utilized if food stored properly and has not been held longer than 2 hours on the serving line.
- End of day: thoroughly clean pasta cooker, griddle, counter top, serving line, mop behind serving line and take out trash.
- Stock plates, bowls, serving utensils in serving area after each meal.
- Clean any other kitchen equipment as used.
- Wipe down vent-hood once a week.
- Maintain inventory of items used according to menu and rotate stock as needed.
- Label and date any opened perishables and leftovers.
- Must comply with good personal hygiene standards.
- Must wear clean uniform, nonskid shoes and hairnet daily.
- Help keep food storage and food prep areas clean.
- Throw away leftovers if held longer than 3 days.
- Work banquets as needed.
- Adhere to the policy of no eating or drinking in food preparation area.
- Attends related meetings and in-service training as mandated.
- Adhere to food-handling policies implemented to prevent disease transmission.
- Help in other areas as needed.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by the Assistant Director or Director.
REQUIRED EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Experience cooking in a commercial food establishment.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Ability to lift up to fifty pounds (50 lbs) on a daily basis.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to use and climb a step ladder.
- Record keeping experience preferred.
- Basic knowledge of proper cleaning and sanitation of equipment and work area.
- Must maintain a food handler card.
- Must work as a team player.
- Must be able to communicate with fellow employees and management.
- Must have good customer service skills.
- Demonstrate good organizational and time management skills.
- Must be creative and willing to try new recipes.
- Ability to learn from observation, oral or written communication.
- Variances from regular working hours may be necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of the position.
- Busy working environment with numerous interruptions.
- Must perform duties while sharing equipment with other cooks.
REPORTS TO: Director of Dining Services
SALARY: $9.45 per hour (This is a 12 month position to be paid over 12 months annually)
APPLICATION DEADLINE DATE: Open Until Filled