The Part-Time Sign Language Interpreter will work directly with the Disability Services Coordinator, and must provide courteous, accurate and professional assistance to students, faculty, staff, and the community. The Part-Time Sign Language Interpreter will be responsible to provide general support to the learning activities of Deaf and Hard of Hearing (DHH) students, either in a classroom or lab. To make Navarro College programs and services accessible to DHH students and serve as liaison between faculty and staff and the DHH student. Work requires the exercise of judgment and discretion in the exercise of a wide variety of duties utilizing established policies and procedures.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Interpret/Transliterate in classroom situations and college related activities for Deaf and Hard of Hearing individuals. Utilize several modes of communication including ASL, Signed English, Contact Variety English Contact Variety ASL, and/or Oral methods.
- Follow the National Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf and the Texas Commission for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Code of Ethics.
- Discuss with student and instructor best practices for interjecting questions and comments as well as most appropriate seating arrangements.
- Use the disability services advisor as a resource to help with problem solving any situation necessary.
- Report schedule changes, appropriateness of skill level for a particular class, faculty cooperation, course content or style, and student’s use of Interpreter to disability service advisor.
- Adhere to the college and department policies and procedures.
- Perform Interpreter skill building activities to continually improve/enhance current knowledge and skills related to interpreting.
- Attend and participate in Special Services in-service training sessions and workshops.
- Maintain confidentiality of student records in compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
- Ensure offices and files are adequately secured on a daily basis.
- Performs all duties and maintains all standards in accordance with college policies, procedures and Core Values.
- Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND:
- Associate’s degree from a regionally accredited institution in American Sign Language or coursework in interpreting through the intermediate level.
- Current Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services (DHHS) Board for Evaluation of Interpreters (BEI) certification, or current equivalent certification.
- A minimum of two years of experience as an interpreter in a college, university setting, or Deaf Service Agency.
- Variances from regular working hours may be necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of the position.
- Busy working environment with contact both in person and via phone and e-mail, with numerous interruptions.
REPORTS TO: District Coordinator of Disability Services
SALARY: Commensurate with Education and Experience / 19 hours per week
APPLICATION DEADLINE DATE: Open Until Filled