This is a part-time evening position. Under the general supervision of the Dean of Libraries, the Library Assistant for Evenings performs semi-technical library work and provides information services during evening hours at the Richard M. Sanchez Library on the Corsicana campus.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supervises student workers
- Work cooperatively with other staff members to manage main desk and computer lab
- Gives general information to the public by phone and e-mail
- Ensures that all equipment is kept in working order and that necessary supplies are on order at all times
- Monitors computers and troubleshoots problems
- Requires ability to use a number of the functions of the library’s online catalog/management system, e.g., charging and discharging books, creating and updating patron records, placing and removing holds, receiving fines and crediting payment, issuing overdue notices, etc.
- Refers patrons with in-depth reference queries to one of the professional librarians as necessary
- Answers basic directional and reference questions posed by patrons
- Effectively engages patrons to precisely define and address their needs
- Directs patrons to various parts of the library, e.g., the circulating collection, reference collection, computer lab, etc.
- Aids library patrons in locating specifically requested items, e.g., books, videos, recordings, etc.
- Assists patrons in submitting intercampus and interlibrary loan requests
- Offers basic instruction in searching online catalogs and databases
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Den of Libraries
REQUIRED EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND:
- High School diploma
- Will consider any equivalent combination of experience and education, which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Associate Degree or two (2) years of college
- Two (2) years of experience in a library or in learning resource center
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Basic knowledge of search techniques using the internet, licensed databases, online catalogs, etc.
- Must exhibit poise, tact, and professional competence in interactions with students, faculty, staff, and other library patrons
- Must have a firm grasp of when it is appropriate to refer patrons to the professional library staff for assistance
- Must have the interpersonal skills necessary to offer help and instruction to patrons with widely varying levels of experience of and familiarity with library materials and services
- Understanding of and willingness to comply with library and college policies and procedures
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must be self-directed; able to work without supervision and independently develop efficient approaches to assigned tasks
- Must be extremely detail-oriented, organized, and methodical
- Must be able to handle a number of tasks simultaneously
- Must be able to work collaboratively with co-workers
- Must be able to engage with patrons in such a way as to determine precisely what their needs are and then assess the most effective means of addressing those needs
- Basic understanding of fundamental library principles, methods, techniques, and procedures
- Good keyboarding skills and the ability to operate a computer to organize and retrieve information
- Proficient in use of MS Office applications
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor in all working relationships
- Ability to employ basic analytical and problem-solving skills
- Must be alert to the needs of students with disabilities and assist them in an efficient, thoughtful and caring manner
- Basic knowledge of the Library of Congress classification system
- Variances from regular working hours may be necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of the position.
- Busy working environment with numerous interruptions.
- Must be available to work evenings.
REPORTS TO: Dean of Libraries
SALARY: $9.00 per hour / 19 hours per week.
APPLICATION DEADLINE DATE: Open Until Filled