This position will primarily be assigned to teach classes on the Corsicana Campus. All instructional personnel are expected to dedicate their primary energies and loyalties to the service of their students. A major responsibility of all instructional personnel is to meet every scheduled class period for classes which meet on a regular basis. Instructors shall not dismiss class or change class meeting hours, dates or classrooms without prior approval from the appropriate Dean or Administrator. Instructors must not permit any outside interests to interfere with their obligations to students. All full-time faculty members may be required to teach at locations away from their primary campus, including dual credit courses, weekend or evening classes.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Instructors are expected to serve as student advocates.
- Instructors shall provide student-centered learning opportunities.
- All instructors must make continuing efforts to improve the quality of their courses.
- Instructors are expected to conduct classroom instruction at the highest possible level of quality, efficiency, and interest for students.
- Instructors shall communicate their knowledge and experience effectively to students.
- Instructors shall have good rapport with students in class, instilling an atmosphere in which students are engaged and feel comfortable asking questions.
- Instructors shall evaluate students regularly and fairly based on outcomes and objectives identified in course syllabi.
- Instructors shall conduct classes that encourage critical thinking skills and/or instill professionalism in the students.
- Instructors shall respect student privacy and comply with FERPA laws.
- Instructors shall grade and return assignments and tests in a timely manner.
- Instructors shall respond to student correspondence in a reasonable and timely manner.
- Instructors shall utilize student evaluations to improve the quality of their instruction.
- Instructors shall adequately plan courses so that content is up to date and presented in an orderly manner.
- Instructors shall provide course averages to students at regular intervals throughout the semester.
- Instructors will utilize the departmentally adopted and approved textbook for every course taught and will require students to use that text in the instructional process.
- All faculty will be responsible for classroom management. Clear expectations and standards for optimum learning will be discussed on the first day of class or within the first week of classes so that all students will understand the learning environment at Navarro College.
- Instructors are expected to plan and develop efficient procedures for evaluating student learning.
- Instructors are expected to develop efficient procedures for notifying students of poor academic performance.
- All instructors are to be familiar with and adhere to all policies and procedures of the institution.
- Instructors who are assigned laboratory sections are expected to remain with the students during laboratory periods.
- Instructors are expected to meet every scheduled class on time and keep the class for the entire scheduled period.
- Instructors are to prepare a course syllabus for each course which they are teaching and distribute within the first week a copy of the syllabus to each student in each class with a copy submitted to the appropriate Dean. Syllabus shall be uploaded to WebAdvisor by assigned date.
- Each course syllabus will include the College policy and/or procedures adopted by the Board of Trustees and Executive Administration relative to classroom decorum and student expectations while attending classes.
PROFESSIONALISM AND CONTINUED IMPROVEMENT
- All instructors are expected to continually seek out ways and methods to improve the effectiveness of their instruction.
- Instructors shall engage in professional development, in-service training opportunities, and scholarly activities to stay current in their academic discipline and teaching best practices.
- Instructors shall work effectively with colleagues in achieving departmental goals and objectives, including submission of data to department chairs for measuring effectiveness.
- Instructors are expected to voice concerns constructively and actively participate in finding solutions.
- Instructors shall work effectively with colleagues outside of their respective department in achieving College or organization goals and objectives.
- Instructors should be knowledgeable of and comply with the contents of the current College Catalog, Navarro College Policies and Procedures Manual, and other appropriate college publications.
- All instructors are required to attend and participate in Convocation, Professional Development Day, and other faculty or mandatory meetings unless they are excused by the person authorized to call the meeting.
- Instructors may volunteer to sponsor student clubs and organizations.
- Full-time instructors are required to keep regular office hours for student conferences, advising and other duties.
- Instructors shall advise students about regulations of the College concerning sequence of courses, majors, minors, graduation requirements, transferring to senior colleges, and other such information by participating in the college Faculty Centered Student Advising Program.
- Instructors should perform other appropriate duties as assigned by authorized personnel, i.e. Career Day, UIL activities, advising, student recruitment, etc.
- Instructors shall attend graduation ceremonies and equivalent, i.e. pinning ceremonies, unless excused by the Vice President of Academic Affairs.
- Instructors are expected to support all and attend a reasonable number of college events such as music productions, athletic contests, club sponsored activities, drama productions, celebrations of student success, etc.
- Perform other duties as assigned where reasonable and appropriate.
REQUIRED EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND:
- Licensed Registered Nurse for State of Texas.
- Current license or privilege to practice nursing in the State of Texas
- Must have been actively employed in nursing for the past 3 years.
- BSN or working toward a BSN
- Prior teaching experience in a community college environment highly preferred.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Must have a willingness to utilize technology and computerized instructional methods.
- Must have strong human relations skills and must be student-oriented.
- Successful experience in the application of student learning and assessment practices, processes, and technologies that enhance teaching is preferred.
- Variances from regular working hours may be necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of the position.
- Busy working environment with numerous interruptions.
REPORTS TO: Dean of Health Professions
SALARY: Commensurate with Education and Experience (This is a 12 month position to be paid over 12 months annually)
APPLICATION DEADLINE DATE: Open Until Filled