Under the general supervision of the Dean of Libraries, the Library Service Assistant provides customer service and information services at the circulation desk and performs semi-technical library work.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides general information to the students and the public by phone and e-mail.
- Answers basic directional and reference questions posed by patrons and refers patrons with in-depth reference queries to one of the professional librarians as necessary.
- Effectively engages patrons to precisely determine and address their needs.
- Directs patrons to various parts of the library, e.g., the circulating collection, reference collection, computer lab, Wepa printer, etc.
- Aids library patrons in locating specifically requested items, e.g., books, DVDs, sound recordings, etc.
- Assists patrons in submitting intercampus and interlibrary loan requests.
- Offers basic instruction in searching online catalogs and databases.
- Creates patron records in Horizon system as needed.
- Supervises and schedules student workers.
- Ensures that all equipment is kept in working order and that necessary supplies are on hand at all times.
- Monitors computer lab and troubleshoots computer and printer problems.
- Requires ability to use a number of the functions of the library’s online catalog/management system, e.g., charging and discharging library materials, creating and updating patron records, placing and removing holds, receiving fines and crediting payment, etc.
- Places and removes blocks in Colleague (data system).
- Prepares books and other materials for mailing.
- Maintains booking calendar for computer lab, classroom, and conference rooms.
- Performs routine updates to the library web pages.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Dean of Libraries.
REQUIRED EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND:
- Completion of an Associate Degree or two (2) years of college.
- Two (2) years of experience in a library or learning resource center, or customer service position.
- Will consider any equivalent combination of experience and education which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Must exhibit poise, tact, and professional competence in interactions with students, faculty, staff, and other library patrons.
- Basic knowledge of search techniques using the internet, licensed databases, online catalogs, etc.
- Must have a firm grasp of when it is appropriate to refer patrons to the professional library staff for assistance.
- Must have the interpersonal skills necessary to offer help and instruction to patrons with widely varying levels of experience of and familiarity with library materials and services.
- Understanding of and willingness to comply with library and college policies and procedures.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be self-directed and consequently able to work without supervision and independently develop efficient approaches to assigned tasks.
- Must be extremely detail-oriented, organized, and methodical.
- Must be able to handle a number of tasks simultaneously.
- Must be able to work collaboratively with co-workers.
- Must be able to engage with patrons in such a way as to determine precisely what their needs are and then assess the most effective means of addressing those needs.
- Basic understanding of fundamental library principles, methods, techniques, and procedures.
- Good keyboarding skills and the ability to operate a computer to organize and retrieve information.
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Office applications.
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor in all working relationships.
- Ability to employ basic analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Must be alert to the needs of students with disabilities and assist them in an efficient, thoughtful and caring manner.
- Basic knowledge of the Library of Congress classification system.
- Variances from regular working hours may be necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of the position.
- Constant interaction with students from a wide variety of backgrounds.
- Busy working environment with numerous interruptions.
- Will at times be called upon for weekend work.
REPORTS TO: Dean of Libraries
SALARY: $21,518.00 (This is a 12 month position to be paid over 12 months annually)
APPLICATION DEADLINE DATE: Open Until Filled