The Dean of Students shall provide counseling, advising, conduct, and other services for students through the planning, direction and controlling of effective, efficient systems for student success. Services shall be provided in accordance with federal, state and local policies and guidelines. The Dean of Students shall provide leadership in the areas of Counseling, Academic Advising, Student Conduct, and the First Year Experience (FYE).
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide leadership and direction in the area of counseling, academic advisement, and student conduct and the Opening Doors to Success Program.
- Assists with the planning and implementation of the First Year Experience.
- Serves on the Title IX team with duties that include Title IX adjudication for students, providing leadership for or assisting with Title IX policy and procedure review, maintaining Title IX training, and other duties related to Title IX.
- Provide leadership for the district’s tutoring services and the learning commons for each campus.
- Provide leadership for a student-centered, holistic advising model that contributes to student success and which entails career exploration, intervention strategies, and holistic student development.
- Provide a system which: (1) allows student input and feedback related to college policies and services; (2) holds students accountable for their decisions and actions; and (3) provides students fair and equitable treatment and due process.
- Provide leadership to the Faculty-Centered Student Advising Program.
- Direct the student conduct program and provide leadership for ongoing effectiveness of safety and civility efforts.
- Implements customer service strategies throughout areas of assigned responsibilities.
- Recommend employment of all Counselors, Advisors, and other departmental staff.
- Approve schedule for all supervisees (full and part-time).
- Evaluate and provide recommendations for employment of personnel.
- Promote collaboration and effectiveness among counseling and advising staff.
- Evaluate department through effective assessment of student learning outcomes and implement innovative strategies for student success.
- Recommend policies and policy revisions related to the Student Services division.
- Teach College Success Skills (CSS) or other courses as assigned or needed.
- Manage departmental budget.
- Apprise the Vice President of Student Services in timely fashion on all matters concerning counseling, grants, state meetings, student concerns, etc.
- Promote morale and internal communication with the Student Services area.
- Encourage innovative ideas and counseling approaches.
- Represent Navarro College and its programs to the community.
- Participate in academic/individual/personal and career counseling and advisement of students as needed.
- Attend student functions, including athletic events, performances, student concerns committee, and student recognition banquets.
- Complete special projects and assignments as directed by the Vice President of Student Services.
- Evaluate all aspects of staff, services, and functions of the department for effectiveness and utilize assessment results for continuous improvement.
REQUIRED EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND:
- Master’s degree in a social service or higher education field
- A minimum of three years administrative experience, preferably in a community college, at the division director level or above.
- Supervisor License for counseling (LPC-S).
- Doctorate degree.
- A minimum of two years teaching or counseling experience, preferable in a community college setting.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- An understanding of and commitment to the community college philosophy.
- Commitment to quality education and the professional development of faculty and staff.
- A student-centered philosophy.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing, and ability to work effectively with students, faculty, administrators, classified staff, and diverse community groups.
- Commitment to the concepts of institutional effectiveness and the ability to provide leadership in planning and evaluation of academic programs.
- Variances from regular working hours may be necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of the position.
- Busy working environment with numerous interruptions.
REPORTS TO: Vice President of Student Services
SALARY: Commensurate with Education and Experience (This is a 12 month position to be paid over 12 months annually)
APPLICATION DEADLINE DATE: Open Until Filled