The Accountant/Procurement Officer will apply the general principles of accounting to help prepare financial statements and analyze financial information. This position will also provide oversight and leadership to the purchasing function at Navarro College.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepares financial reports for the College, the Board of Trustees, internal and external auditors.
- Occasionally assists with some preparation of the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR).
- Assists the Comptroller with monthly financial statements when needed.
- Assist the Comptroller with financial reconciliations such as scholarships.
- Prepares bid proposals for the College.
- Responsible for implementing new/improved systems, policies and procedures.
- Collaborates with IT and other departments to automate manual processes to ensure efficiencies.
- Process purchase requisitions, enter data on computer and issue purchase orders.
- Prepare, compile and distribute bid proposals, requests for quotations, legal advertisements and bid tabulations.
- Maintain vendor lists.
- Solicits quotes from vendors when appropriate including purchasing cooperatives and state contracts via phone or internet.
- Exercise complete authority in guiding other people in regards to the purchasing laws and regulations of the state and trains departments on purchasing procedures.
- Faxes or emails orders to state vendors and others as appropriate.
- Processes credit applications to new vendors.
- Answers telephone and email requests from vendors.
- Maintains college’s credit cards so that all purchases with P-cards are encumbered, and loaded with needed balances before being checked out by individuals.
- Ensures P-Cards are reconciled each month by users.
- Assists IT with state contracts for college’s copiers.
- Cross-trains on other areas in Business Services to ensure coverage in absence of others.
- Attends trainings as necessary to stay updated on current developments necessary to perform job.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND:
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Experience may be substituted for education.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration with concentration in Accounting.
- Experience in accounting or associated experience
- Preference may be given to applicants with governmental accounting experience.
- Experience with software such as Excel and Word.
- Preference may be given to applicants with Colleague experience.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Excellent personal computing skills.
- Excellent administrative software utility skills.
- Experience in electronic file transfers.
- Knowledge of new technology and banking/commerce methods to ensure the department is operating in the most efficient and cost effective manner.
- Excellent communication and customer service skills.
- Independent thinker and self-starter.
- Ability to work with a minimum of supervision and with teams in a deadline and detail-oriented environment.
- Ability to maximize the strengths of staff members and help the department deliver excellent customer service.
- Excellent leadership and organizational skills and the ability to motivate people.
- Excellent integrity and demonstrates good moral character and initiative.
- Ability to exercise a great deal of judgment, analytical skills, flexibility, and strong people skills.
- Exhibit a personality that demonstrates interpersonal skills to relate well with staff, administration and the community.
- Variances from regular working hours may be necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of the position.
- Busy working environment with numerous interruptions.
REPORTS TO: Budget Officer / Risk Management Coordinator
SALARY: $40,000. (This is a 12 month position to be paid over 12 months annually)
APPLICATION DEADLINE DATE: Open Until Filled