Under the general supervision of the Director of Residence Life, the Residence Life Specialist performs the administrative duties of the Residence Life/Housing Office, Intramurals, and the Gibson Hall Student Center. This position will also ensure that an inviting and welcoming environment exists in the department and will provide courteous, accurate, and professional assistance to students, potential residents and their families, and the Navarro College community.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides general administrative support, including typing of correspondence and maintaining of filing system.
- Submits purchase requisitions, personnel status forms, purchase card records, and other college forms and documents.
- Supervises part-time office staff and work study students and maintains monthly time records for these staff.
- Provides administrative support for housing placement process and resident check in.
- Performs general data entry and retrieval within the college’s computer information system (Colleague), including room and meal plan assignments.
- Coordinates incoming student applications for Residence Life/Housing and processes background checks, etc.
- Distributes necessary email and written correspondence to students regarding policies, room assignments, and maintenance issues.
- Works closely with Assistant Director to maintain disciplinary log and process housing violations.
- Coordinates with Business Office on resident billing.
- Communicates with Physical Plant staff regarding housing and student room maintenance.
- Maintains departmental office equipment and supplies.
- Works closely with the Purchasing Agent on all departmental purchases.
- Assists the Director in maintaining invoicing from housekeeping vendors.
- Performs other tasks as assigned by the Director of Residence Life/Housing.
- Assists in scheduling of Gibson Hall Student Center with Director of Intramurals.
- Assist the Director of Intramurals with Summer Camps and Conference scheduling, invoicing, and building usage.
- Provides support for the Gibson Hall Student Center front desk workers.
- Maintains monthly time records for part-time staff.
- Assists the Director of Intramurals with purchasing equipment and paying vendors.
REQUIRED EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND:
- Associate’s Degree
- Four (4) years administrative experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree with one (1) year administrative experience.
- Experience working with Colleague or similar database system.
- Preference will be given to applicants with previous experience working in a higher education student life environment.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Ability to acquire a thorough understanding and knowledge of college policies and procedures and ability to apply that information in responding to a variety of situations.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to operate and oversee the operation of computers, including word processing and spreadsheets.
- Minimum typing skill of 40 words per minute.
- Ability to plan, organize and delegate a variety of functions and tasks.
- Ability to function effectively in a busy office setting with a high traffic level.
- Ability to work effectively with students, faculty, administrators and staff.
- Ability to make judgments and decisions based upon operating directives established by the Director of Residence Life/Housing.
- Ability to plan and organize work and to function as a team player.
- Must have excellent customer service skills, along with a pleasant personality.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and ability to quickly learn other web-based programs.
- Regular working hours for this position will be 9:00 am – 6:00 pm.
- Variances from regular working hours may be necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of the position.
- Busy working environment with numerous interruptions.
REPORTS TO: Director of Residence Life
SALARY: $27,027. (This is a 12 month position to be paid over 12 months annually)
APPLICATION DEADLINE DATE: Open Until Filled