Under supervisory direction, the Custodian performs custodial services including general cleaning tasks and minor repairs.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Moves furniture and media equipment for all events and activities on campus.
- Serves as lead worker and provides supervisory direction for student workers and part-time employees.
- Unlocks buildings, turns on lights in main hallways and restrooms Monday through Friday.
- Steam cleans porches and walkways.
- Makes minor repairs to fixtures, furniture and cleaning equipment.
- Cleans and maintains water fountains.
- Cleans assigned rooms, offices and adjoining hallways.
- Dusts and polishes walls, furniture, fixtures and equipment.
- Cleans, scrubs and polishes lavatories, fixtures and mirrors and replenishes lavatory supplies in all buildings on campus.
- Resolves issues with clogged up toilets.
- Sweeps, mops, waxes and polishes floors.
- Set out caution/wet floor signs as needed.
- Clean and replace red floor mats as needed in each building.
- Empties waste baskets and receptacles.
- Clean up and mop after spills and accidents on campus.
- Maintains custodial equipment and supplies and keeps closet in proper order.
- Requisitions supplies and equipment.
- Keeps classroom chairs, tables and desks in order.
- Plans and schedules major housekeeping activity in order to avoid class schedule disruption.
- Clean up before, during and after construction work sites.
- Maintains ongoing liaison with supervisor and submits work orders for any repair needs as necessary.
- Open, close and clean table umbrellas in courtyard as needed.
- Runs errands, carries messages and mail, boxes and packages to mailroom and bookstore as necessary.
- Assumes the duties of the Custodial Services Supervisor in his/her absence.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the Executive Director of Facilities.
REQUIRED EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND:
- Ability to read and write on a level in keeping with the duties of this position.
- One-year experience in the inspection, cleaning and maintenance of furniture and fixtures or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Valid State of Texas driver’s license.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Knowledge of the problems involved in doing general cleaning work.
- Knowledge of the general safety precautions to be observed.
- Knowledge of the proper use and minor adjustment of sweepers, vacuum cleaners, floor waxers and polishers, and other equipment.
- Knowledge of the problems encountered and the materials, tools, and procedures used in washing, waxing, vacuuming and polishing wood, tile, cement, linoleum and other floor and woodwork, furniture and fixtures.
- Ability to analyze cleaning problems, organize assigned cleaning work, and develop effective work methods.
- Ability to keep an assigned building, unit or area in a clean, sanitary and orderly condition.
- Ability to see that all restroom areas are kept in a clean, neat and sanitary condition.
- Ability to keep simple records.
- Variances from regular working hours may be necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of the position.
- Busy working environment with numerous interruptions.
- Must be eligible for insurability under the college insurance policy.
REPORTS TO: Executive Director of Facilities
SALARY: $19,669. (This is a 12 month position to be paid over 12 months annually)
APPLICATION DEADLINE DATE: Open Until Filled