This is a grant funded position and continuation is dependent upon availability of funds.
The Retention Specialist will be responsible for coordinating support services for TRIO SSS students that are on academic or financial aid probation or warning. Collaborates with all TRIO SSS Academic Advisors to increase student contacts for those students that are struggling academically.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Monitor student academic progress (including collaboration with faculty) and provide interventions within program guidelines.
- Collaborate with other TRIO SSS staff members to provide extensive supportive services to TRIO students not meeting “good standing” for academics or financial aid.
- Develop Academic Success Plans with TRIO SSS students on Academic Probation or Suspension.
- Assist TRIO SSS students with completing the Financial Aid SAP appeal process.
- Assist TRIO SSS students with completing the Academic Suspension appeal process.
- Provides advising for students with regard to educational, career, and course options.
- Provide academic advising, mentoring, class scheduling, and registration assistance for TRIO SSS students.
- Utilize Colleague to monitor student progress and persistence.
- Prepares and presents educational workshops/seminars as needed.
- Investigates and shares information with TRIO staff and students regarding local community and social services agencies providing supportive services.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Project Director and or College Administration.
- Creation and maintenance of TRIO SSS student files (both physical and electronic versions).
- Collaborate with all TRIO SSS staff to provide coverage of the TRIO SSS Reception Desk.
REQUIRED EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Experience working with a TRIO program.
- Knowledge of Colleague (or other student information system) and Blumen software.
- Knowledge of the services provided by TRIO SSS.
- Prior TRIO participant.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to think critically and creatively.
- Excellent interpersonal, relationship, communication, organizational, and promotional skills required.
- Understanding of and commitment to the community college philosophy.
- Ability to work to work effectively with diverse groups and individuals.
- Ability to utilize computer technology to access information, to maintain records, to generate reports, and to communicate effectively.
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills and the ability to function as a team player.
- Variances from regular working hours may be necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of the position.
- Busy working environment with numerous interruptions.
- Willingness to work 11 months of the year with off-time and vacation taken only during selective times of the year, based on College calendar, needs of the students and the institution, and supervisor’s approval.
REPORTS TO: Director of TRIO Student Support Services
SALARY: $33,000.00 (This is an 11 month position to be paid over 12 months annually)
APPLICATION DEADLINE DATE: Open Until Filled