SECTION C: BUSINESS AND SUPPORT SERVICES
- SECTION CA | Appropriations and Revenue Sources
- SECTION CAA | Appropriations
- SECTION CAB | Bond Issue
- SECTION CAC | Time Warrants
- SECTION CAD | Certificates of Indebtedness
- SECTION CAE | Loans and Notes
- SECTION CAF | Ad Valorem Taxes
- SECTION CAG | Investments
- SECTION CAH | Sale, Trade or Lease of College Property
- SECTION CAH.1 | Sale, Trade or Lease of College Property
- SECTION CAI | Grants, Funds and Donations
- SECTION CAJ | Rentals and Service Charges
- SECTION CB | Depository of Funds
- SECTION CC | Annual Operating Budget
- SECTION CD | Accounting
- SECTION CD.1 | Accounting
- SECTION CD.2 | Cash Handling Procedures
- SECTION CD.3 | Fixed Assets
- SECTION CD.4 | Financial Reports and Statements
- SECTION CD.5 | Accounting Inventories
- SECTION CD.6 | Accounting Audits
- SECTION CD.7 | Accountability
- SECTON CD.8 | Travel Procedures
- SECTION CD.9 | Taxation of Gifts, Prizes, and Awards to Employees
- SECTION CE | Purchasing and Acquisitions
- SECTION CF | Safety Program
- SECTION CG | Site Management
- SECTION CH | Equipment, Supply and Records Management
- SECTION CI | Transportation Management
- SECTION CJ | Insurance and Annuities
- SECTION CK | Facilities Planning and Standards
- SECTION CL | College District Auxiliary Enterprises
- SECTION CM | Technology Resources
- SECTION CN | Information Security
- SECTION CO | Intellectual Property
BUSINESS AND SUPPORT SERVICES
ANNUAL OPERATING BUDGET
The legislature shall have no power to authorize any political corporation or subdivision of the state, including a college district, to lend its credit or to grant public money or thing of value in aid of, or to any individual, association, or corporation whatsoever, or to become a stockholder in such corporation, association or company.
The legislature shall have no power to grant, or to authorize any county or municipal authority to grant, any extra compensation, fee, or allowance to a public officer, agent, servant, or contractor after service has been rendered or a contract entered into and performed in whole or in part; nor pay, nor authorize the payment of, any claim created against any county or municipality of the state, under any agreement or contract, made without authority of law.
COMMITMENT OF CURRENT REVENUE
If a contract for the acquisition, including lease, of real or personal property retains to the governing body of a local government, including a college district, the continuing right to terminate the contract at the expiration of each budget period of the local government during the term of the contract, is conditioned on a best efforts attempt by the governing body to obtain and appropriate funds for payment of the contract, or contains both the continuing right to terminate and the best efforts conditions, the contract is a commitment of the local government’s current revenue only.
The operating budgets shall:0)
- Include general revenue, local funds, and estimated institutional funds;
- Include detail by department for current and prior year;
- Include a summary by functional categories for current and prior year;
- Include a summary of the instructional budget by college or school for the current and preceding year;
- Include a summary by amount and method of finance for each listed informational item in the general appropriation act; and
- Be prepared within the limits of revenue available.
- Advocacy Expenditures. The proposed budget of a political subdivision, including a college district, must include, in a manner allowing for as clear a comparison as practicable between those expenditures in the proposed budget and actual expenditures for the same purpose in the preceding year, a line item indicating expenditures for directly or indirectly influencing or attempting to influence the outcome of legislation or administrative action, as those terms are defined in Government Code 305.002. Gov't Code 140.0045.
The governing board of each institution, including each college district, shall approve on or before September 1 of each year an itemized budget covering the operation of the institution for the fiscal year beginning on September 1 of each year
Copies of each such budget, including current operating funds, shall be furnished to the Coordinating Board, Legislative Budget Board, Governor’s Budget and Planning Office and Legislative Reference Library by December 1 of each fiscal year in the required filing method. Additional copies shall be delivered to the Coordinating Board as required.
The governing board of the institution shall retain five copies of the budget for distribution to legislators or other state officials on request.
Copies shall be maintained in the institution’s library.
Funds, other property, or services may be donated to the Texas Military Department, a unit of the Texas National Guard, or a unit in the Texas State Guard by a political subdivision, including a college district.
An electronic budgeting program will be utilized in the preparation of the annual budget. Budgets will be prepared in an electronic format by each department. Budgets should be prepared by month with planned resource allocations listed in detail. Backup documentation should be attached/uploaded. Grants departments will work in coordination with the Grants Accountant in the preparation of grant budgets.
All full-time and part-time salary allocations will be finalized and then entered by the Human Resources department. Budget managers should work with Human Resources to ensure all salary allocations are to the correct departments and locations.
Certain line items including telephone, copiers, utilities, etc. are centrally budgeted and may not be adjusted or transferred without budget office approval.
Members of the President's Leadership Team will review the preparation of all budgets within their divisions and approve submission to the Leadership Team. The Leadership Team will review the entire budget and make any revisions based on available revenue, new initiatives, and alignment with the College's Mission Statement.
After approval by the Leadership Team, the budget will be presented to the Board of Trustees for approval prior to September 1 of each year.
Updated: July 27, 2020